Thursday, August 19, 2004

Life in August

Since the last big milestone at work in July, I have been taking it easy. Deep down in my heart, I know this is just temporary. My yearning for achieving something will pick up very soon. Looking back at the past 18 months since joining the best software company on earth, I have to admit that I've err-ed and I've learned. The learning aspect of my life makes any mistakes, unexpeted detours all meaningful and somewhat less painful. Below are some of the topline learnings.

Lession #1: Be quiet when you first join a company. We all have the tendency to prove ourselves, esp. in a new environment. The smart thing to do is actually the opposite. Take your time to observe, listen and get your bearings in a new workplace before calling your shots. It will make others around you more comfortable to absorb your ideas. It would also make it more feasible for you to make your impact.

Lession #2. Build a strong network. Expand your network to include people from the field, from other groups you directly work with and even groups you do not work with on a day to day basis. This network can come handy when you need extra perspectives on things and it also provides a good information source for you, esp. considering lots of what really goes in a company is never written down, i.e. there are lots of unwritten rules that your network can help you expedite your learning process.

Lession #3. Don't be ashamed to tout your own horn. This is a hard one. I have struggled with it and I'm still struggling with the notion that I'll have to brag about what I do. Coming from a culture where one is discouraged to speak up, esp. about themselves, this one took me a while to come to terms with. Rationally, you know your work the best. If you don't adverse yourself, nobody can do a good job for you. I'm seeking for proven tactics to make this work. So if anyone of you out there have good ideas, please share.

Lession #4. Hone your communications skills. Learn the ability to explain complex ideas with simple words.

Lession #5. Time is money. Use it wisely. Plan ahead.

Lession #6. Take action when things don't work out. Doldroms happen. Keep your mind sharp and your eyes open. Make that a first move to mentally make a note that you need to change.

Lession #7. Nurture your support network, spend time with your family and friends.

Lession #8. Travel internationally. See the world.

Lession #9. Be true to yourself.

Lession #10. Keep learning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home