Sunday, January 30, 2011

work smart series

not at peace with myself lately. By nature, I'm a conflict avoider, despite my straight talk style. the business process and structure at work doesn't make much sense. my peer is granted way too much power and budget resources and he's not shy from wielding his power. he's poached my key stakeholders with his money behind my back.

finally i'm starting to understand what it means when people say business is a game.

went to a seminar. the speaker said for women to be more successful, we've got to work LESS. work less so we have sometime to manage the right relationships and our career. join the right circles, go to the right after-work parties, hang out with the right people who can help you.

i accidentally bumped into one of the relatoinship leaders in this country. i had a follow up call with him. his comment on relationships were very revealing.

one of my advisors also said similar things to me.

work with the willing. build personal relationships with those decision makers first. they can help you influence others if necessary.

long ways to go for me. but i know i can do it.

wish i knew all this when i was in my late 20s. but better late than never.

met a woman at the above-mentioned seminar. we hit it off immediately. she turned out to be the wife of one of my former co-workers. fairly successful. good contact to have.

need to go out and meet more people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home